I had an interesting conversation with Kylee today about voting, and how important it is that we do so. I am going to be honest though, I haven't always taken this right, and priveledge so seriously. There were a couple of years that I didn't do anything about it, didn't take that opportunity to vote, and didn't really care. I am kind of ashamed to say that. I have kind of always had the feeling that I live in Utah, it is a predominantly Republican state, so really my vote doesn't matter...right...WRONG!
She is getting old enough to sort of understand things. There are certain things that are adult issues that I don't think she needs to worry about. She had a conversation with her friend today who is probably more informed about this election than I am. She came home really discouraged, because she didn't know what she was talking about.
I explained to her about Republicans, and Democrats, and what that means. It is kind of interesting what kind of effect we have on our children without even realizing it. We are a split house here, Clay was raised VERY Democrat, and I was raised VERY Republican. This is one of the issues that we didn't discuss before we were married...and I never really knew much about anything. My parents didn't really talk about it tons, I knew that they voted, but frankly I didn't really care, or even want to know anything about it.
We don't really talk politics much in our house, Clay is very opinionated, and quite frankly I don't want to argue with him. He has his views, and I have mine. I am the kind of person that doesn't just vote for someone because of their political party. I vote for the person that I think will do the best job. I explained that to Kylee, and explained to Kylee that it is good to have different views, and different parties, because they both have good things about them, and they both have things that you may not like. She kind of though that when you turn 18 and get to "choose" your party, that you had to choose the party of who the president is at the time.?. It was a great conversation, and I am glad that I had it. I explained that you have the RIGHT to vote, and I explained that women in other countries haven't always had that right. It was a great thing for me to think about and reflect how important it is that I DO vote. If I don't vote, then I have no reason to express my feelings, or frustrations of whom was chosen, because I forefeited that right.
Sorry this is LONG, and boring, but to me it was a great day for me to explain to Kylee about our country and how great it is to live here. NOW GET OUT AND VOTE, AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!! Enough of my soap box. Until the next presidential election...
No comments:
Post a Comment